ac

5 things I miss about America while living in the U.K.

Monday, August 10, 2015

1. Driving

Probably the biggest thing I miss about America when I'm at school is driving. The first couple weeks (months) living in the U.K. I was perpetually shocked at how much everyone walks. I thought it was preposterous to walk for longer than ten minutes and complained about it every chance I got (how did I make friends is the real question). My mind was spoiled to my predisposed notion that it is mandatory to have a car to get to where you need to go because in America, everything is so spaced out walking is most of the time out of the question. And while the U.K. has superior public transportation and the convenience of being able to walk basically everywhere, there are times when I crave the therapeutic freedom that comes from driving my own car to wherever I want to go. What I found is that I really missed driving for the longest time, but then you get into a routine of walking and that turns into your therapeutic substitute, not to mention that I felt so much more active and healthy living in the U.K. because of the amount of walking I did.


2. Fall/Seasons in general


This is something I really find myself struggling with. Fall is by far my favorite season. I love everything about it. The thick knitted sweaters, cinnamon scented candles, warm seasonal drinks, leather boots and jackets, the sound of crunching leaves, football games and pink noses. Even the air has a special scent during fall and my entire neighborhood is covered in a thick blanket of red and yellow leaves that trickle down from the sky throughout the day. I hate to break it to all you Brits, but you're really missing out on this one. Fall (and seasons in general) don't really exist over there. There are no drastic definitives, everything just kinda stays temperate and the seasons blur into each other throughout the year. This can be a positive though, you don't have to deal with super harsh snowstorms and below freezing temperatures as much as you do in the States during winter. But it also means not experiencing my favorite time of the year. Luckily though, term doesn't start until super late as compared to U.S. universities, so I get to stay home until late September which means I will be soaking up all the fall I can get until I have to leave. AKA hoarding fall scented candles from Bath&BodyWorks and smuggling them in my suitcase. 


3. Iced Coffee

Iced coffee just tastes miles better than hot coffee and that's just a fact of life. I mainly included this because I always crave a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee when I'm at school. And then I remember, there's no Dunkin in sight and it's raining and cold so iced coffee wouldn't be all that satisfying anyway. There's nothing better than mass produced, cheap coffee on a hot summer day. Nuff said.

4. Free refills

One time when I was younger I went out to dinner with my grandparents (who live in the U.K.) and my brother and I kept ordering orange juices assuming that free refills came with the first one we got (and because they gave us a minuscule sized amount in the first place- that's another thing, PORTION SIZES). At the end of the night there were about twelve orange juice charges on the bill and my grandparents were not amused. And I remember my grandma having a talk with us and telling us that free refills weren't a thing and my eleven year old self was horrified. Still am.

5.Obnoxious patriotism

And lastly, you'll miss the all consuming American pride. I recognize that this attribute of America is particularly annoying and obnoxious but if you're from the states living abroad, then I know you can relate.

Until next time,
Christy x 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images